- Products: CircleDNA offers a variety of health, nutrition and ancestry reports, as well as Whole Exome Sequencing.
- Cost: CircleDNA’s prices range from $189 for their Vital DNA Test to $629 for their Premium DNA Test.
- Reports: CircleDNA offers diet, disease, and health reports. They can cover topics as superficial as one’s dancing abilities or as serious as cancer screening.
- Raw data access: Yes.
- Privacy: CircleDNA does not share users’ data with third parties.
- Alternatives: SelfDecode.
- CircleDNA’s reports are user-friendly and easy to understand.
- The Whole Exome Sequencing technology analyzes protein-coding genes, which provides users with comprehensive and accurate results.
- CircleDNA offers a complimentary 30-minute consultation along with all their testing kits. Premium users are offered two consultations.
- CircleDNA does not offer users the possibility to upload DNA files they may have acquired from other testing companies.
- Although the company offers an extensive list of tests, it fails to provide users with actionable information in some reports.
- CircleDNA’s prices are more expensive when compared to similar companies.
- CircleDNA does not offer personalized health recommendations on a continuous basis.
CircleDNA was founded in 2014 by current CEO Danny Yeung and CSO Dr Lawrence Tzang. It boasts over 150 staff members, including scientists, engineers and counsellors. With its headquarters located in Hong Kong, CircleDNA is present around the globe and has offices in London, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and more.
They use Whole Exome Sequencing technology to generate comprehensive reports regarding health, diet, and disease risks. The company’s mission is to help people take control of their health by helping them make better lifestyle choices.
Review of CircleDNA Products & Features
CircleDNA uses Whole Exome Sequencing technology to read the sequences of protein-coding nuclear genes in the genome. To get started, users have to acquire the Circle Test Kit to collect a small DNA sample from their inner cheek. Processing can take 18 business days from when the sample is received.
CircleDNA services include the Vital DNA Test, the Health DNA Test, the Family Planning DNA Test, and the Premium DNA Test.
The Vital DNA Test is targeted at those who are looking for actionable information to optimize their overall wellness and includes 125 reports in 14 different categories. Users are given a complimentary 30-minute consultation with a genetics-trained health coach.
The Health DNA Test is focused on those seeking information to better manage their own health and offers a total of 115 reports in 4 different categories. Users are given a complimentary 30-minute consultation with a certified genetic counsellor.
The Family Planning DNA Test focuses on uncovering genetic conditions that could be passed on to a child and includes more than 160 reports. Users are given a complimentary 30-minute consultation with a certified genetic counsellor.
The Premium DNA Test is marketed as being the world’s most comprehensive DNA Test. It includes reports from Vital, Health and Family Planning DNA Tests in addition to an exclusive Drug Response DNA Test, totalling over 500 reports in 20 different categories.
Premium users are also given a lifetime subscription with updates to any new features, reports and categories, as well as two 30-minute complimentary consultations with a genetics-trained health coach and a certified genetic counsellor.
All CircleDNA’s reports can be accessed on the official Circle Mobile App or via a PDF summary.
Vital DNA Test
The Vital DNA Test includes 125 reports divided into 14 categories. They are:
- Diet: provides users with their personal dietary needs by testing 15 dietary items, including alcohol sensitivity, coeliac disposition and lactose intolerance.
- Nutrition: indicates personal vitamin and mineral needs, as well as food sensitivities.
- Sports and Fitness: includes optimal training type and injury risk.
- Stress and Sleep: helps users understand their genetic sleep and stress profile with 8 reports.
- Ancestry: estimates the percentage of which user’s ancestry comes from six different geographical regions (East Asian, European, African, Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian and South Asian).
- Skin: provides users with their skin’s genetic profile, which includes natural strengths and weaknesses.
- Physical Traits: 12 reports that include hair color, waist circumference and smell sensitivity.
- Personality Traits: covers five basic personality traits, including extraversion and neuroticism.
- Behavioural Traits: 5 reports that help users discover genetic predisposition in behavior.
- Success Traits: includes cognitive test performance and language ability.
- Gender Traits: 4 reports that help users learn about hormones and what their levels mean for well-being.
- Music and Dance: 2 reports that measure users’ dancing abilities and musical talents.
- Well-Being: 7 reports that provide users with information on how genetics impact physical aspects of well-being and life longevity. Includes appetite control and metabolic response.
- Pollution: informs users on genetic response to certain air pollutants and provides information about inherent respiratory risk.
CircleDNA provides a sample report as is shown on their Circle Mobile App for each of the categories. Their Nutrition sample report is shown below:
The results are shown on the app first as a summary. If the user wishes for more specific information, they can select any topic. CircleDNA divides their information into tabs within the app, each presenting valuable information.
As shown in the Nutrition sample report, the first tab provides users with their genetic result. They also offer general information about the subject area. The second tab shows a few lifestyle recommendations based on the results. The third tab breaks down which genes were analyzed and the confidence score, which indicates how strongly the genes influence the characteristic analyzed. CircleDNA also discloses a list of references.
All Vital DNA Test report samples follow the same model, with minor changes.
Health DNA Test
The Health DNA Test includes 115 reports divided into 4 categories. They are:
- Cancer Screening: helps users understand the risk for 36 types of cancer, including breast, colorectal and ovarian cancer.
- Dementia and Brain Health: shows users’ genetic risk for a variety of neuropsychiatric conditions, including Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Common Health Risks: informs users about their risk for 8 common health conditions, including heart disease.
- Disease Risk: provides users with information about their genetic risk for certain diseases.
The Dementia and Brain Health sample report is shown below.
Similarly to the Vital DNA Test, the result is shown on the app, first as an overview. For a more in-depth look, users can select any condition analyzed. The report for each condition is divided into two tabs. The first tab shows users their genetic result and informs them about their risk for developing the condition, and also provides pertinent information about the subject. The second tab shows scientific details specifying which genes were analyzed and their confidence scores.
All Health DNA Test report samples follow the same model, with minor changes.
Family Planning DNA Test
The Family Planning DNA Test includes reports that help assess carrier status across 163 hereditary conditions including Cystic Fibrosis and Deafness. It analyzes:
- 38 conditions associated with increased risk of neonatal and early childhood death
- 116 conditions shown to shorten lifespan
- 71 conditions that can cause intellectual disability.
CircleDNA’s Family Planning Report is shown below.
The first page of the app shows an overview informing users of their carrier status. It is possible to select a condition for a more detailed explanation, which includes the mutation analyzed and an explanation of the affliction. CircleDNA also provides users with the disease impact level and describes the effect each condition has on life expectancy and quality of life.
Premium DNA Test
The Premium DNA Test includes reports from the Vital, Health, and Family Planning DNA Tests. It totals more than 500 reports divided into 20 categories, all of which have been previously covered. Premium users are also provided with an exclusive Drug Response DNA Test, which cannot be purchased with any other service. It analyzes 103 FDA approved drugs and how the body responds to them.
You can view a sample report for the Drug Response DNA Test below:
The overview section of the app shows users drug categories such as psychiatric and cardiovascular. Each category is detailed with an explanation about how genes may affect the body’s response to each drug analyzed. CircleDNA offers recommendations on usage of each drug (use as directed, decrease starting dosage or use with caution), and provides information about the genes tested for each drug.
Premium users also get a lifetime subscription which includes free updates for life for any new features, reports and categories.
Unfortunately, Circle DNA only analyzes a few genetic variants in each report and does not appear to include all variants that can impact your overall wellness. For a full picture of your health, you might need to look elsewhere.
CircleDNA offers four options for customers to purchase. The Health DNA Test and the Family Planning DNA Test can be acquired for $499 each, while the Vital DNA Test costs $189. The most expensive test that is offered is the $629 Premium DNA Test with a lifetime subscription. All testing kits are given free international shipping including delivery and return.
CircleDNA’s Circle Mobile App offers on-screen recommendations, including information about the subject and suggestions on what users can do regarding the analyzed characteristic.
Although the company claims that the recommendations are personalized based on users’ results, they can be superficial, and CircleDNA does not offer an in-depth explanation of how they are created or sourced. CircleDNA also presents their recommendations separately in each report. The company does not offer recommendations for all of their tests.
Vital DNA Test users are provided with one 30-minute complimentary consultation with a genetics-trained health coach, while Health and Family Planning DNA Test users get one 30-minute consultation with a certified genetic counsellor. CircleDNA offers their Premium users both consultations. Such consultation aims to provide users with supporting information about their results.
CircleDNA states that they do not share users’ data with any third party. They are compliant with the International Security Standard ISO-27001 and all their connections are encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
CircleDNA stores users’ data on Amazon Web Services (AWS). The company claims that users can delete their account and data at any time.
CircleDNA processes samples in their ISO accredited laboratory in Hong Kong, China.
- SelfDecode delivers natural supplement, diet and lifestyle suggestions based on your genes that you can implement right away. CircleDNA offers a few recommendations in some of their reports, but not all.
- SelfDecode tells you why they make each recommendation so that you can understand the science behind the suggestion. Although CircleDNA makes a few recommendations and offers a list of references, they do not expand on the research supporting their suggestions.
- SelfDecode prioritizes recommendations based on their analysis of all the relevant genes instead of one gene at a time (through reports). CircleDNA’s reports are based on each singular condition or trait analyzed.
- SelfDecode takes a holistic approach to give recommendations that are best for your genes AND the health topic. CircleDNA’s reports do not offer a complete overview of their suggestions.
- SelfDecode is the most comprehensive and looks at more genes & SNPs (up to 83 million) to deliver the best analysis of genetic risks. CircleDNA’s Whole Exome Sequencing provides users with a comprehensive and accurate analysis of their genes, but it is far more costly, and they only analyze a few variants per report.
- SelfDecode supports everything with peer-reviewed scientific studies in their research and checks for contradicting information. CircleDNA provides some references for their results.
- SelfDecode never sells your data or gives it away. CircleDNA also takes privacy seriously and makes the same claim.
|Personalized & holistic health recommendations||Yes||No||No||No|
|Personalized blog posts||Yes||No||No||No|
|Products||DNA testing, wellness reports, research-based personalized blog posts, health recommendations||Whole Exome Sequencing, health, diet, and family planning reports||Whole Genome Sequencing, health and fitness reporting, genetic health risks||DNA testing, traits, wellness reports, more accurate ancestry|
|Raw data access||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cost (USD)||$97 – $397||$189 – $629||$700 – $1,000+||$99 – $199+|
- SelfDecode: The best option for health-focused DNA analysis with personalized reports and recommendations to improve your quality of life.
CircleDNA uses Whole Exome Sequencing technology that offers an accurate and comprehensive analysis. Their services include diet, health, family planning, and ancestry reports, which are divided into four bundles: Vital, Health, Family Planning, and Premium DNA Tests. CircleDNA also offers one complimentary consultation with a health professional, and Premium users get two consultations.
The Circle Mobile App is easy to navigate and their reports are clear and easy to understand. However, while CircleDNA provides users with some insight into their results, they do not offer more detailed actionable information. Another point to be made is that CircleDNA presents a more expensive option when compared to other services, and they only analyze a few genetic variants per report.
For a more holistic approach, SelfDecode uses AI and machine learning to accurately predict and analyze up to 83 million genetic variants from a typical DNA kit. Then, SelfDecode provides personalized and prioritized recommendations aimed at improving overall health.