- Rs680 (T to G or C) is a variation in an untranslated region (not in final product) of IGF-2 .
- This leads to higher amounts of IGF-2 being made. IGF-2 is involved in growth and repair of cells (R).
The Minor "T" allele is associated with (higher IGF-2):
- Obesity in children and adolescents (R).
- Bad development of the placenta causing pregnancy complications (R).
- Increased protection against stomach cancer (R).
- Increased risk of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (R).
- Increased muscle damage after too much work (R).
- Dairy induced growth in height (R).
The Major "C" allele is associated with:
- Increased risk of type II diabetes (R)
- Taller children (GG) (R).
- Higher back muscle strength (R).
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (R).
The SNP is associated with (unknown which allele):
- Increased risk of Parkinsons Disease (R).