The G (major) allele is associated with:
- higher risk of Ulcerative Colitis
- possibly lower levels of PXR protein.
- AG= worse than GG, Causes possible increased risk in Crohn's Disease (not signif OR=1.12) and increased risk for Ulcerative Colitis (significant, OR=1.35).
- GG=OR=.91 Possible increased risk for Crohn's Disease (not signif, OR=.91) and increased risk for Ulcerative Colitis (significant, OR=1.18).
- Only GG had a higher rate of colorectal cancer (Activation of PXR inhibits of NF-Œ∫B activity).
- Loss of PXR function has been associated with intestinal inflammation in animal studies, and low levels of PXR expression have been found in the intestine of Ulcerative Colitis patients.