This SNP changes an amino acid in the nerve growth factor gene and therefore affects its function (G=Ala, A=Val). Nerve growth factor (NGF) plays a role in the functioning of the basal forebrain cholinergic neurones, which are involved in attentional systems.
The Minor "A" allele is associated with:
- Increased susceptibility for anxiety by association with low vagal activity [R].
- 1.47X increased risk of Alzheimer's (R).
The Major "G" allele is associated with:
- In females, GG had higher levels of anxiety than AG or AA (R).
- In males, GG had lower levels of anxiety than AG or AA (R).
- In men, GG had a higher heart rate variability (high-frequency power and RMSSD) [R].
- In women, GG had a nonsignificantly lower heart rate variability [R].
- The G allele was significantly more common in people with ADHD (P=.05) (R).