Mechanism: functional polymorphism in the promotor region of the
receptor gene C/T(102) . The two variants (rs6311 and rs6313) are in complete LD (R).
The A (minor) allele is associated with:
- Increased somatization in Fibromyalgia subjects (AA) (R).
- Lower general health and social function scores (A) (p=0.00320.034)(R).
The G (major) allele is associated with:
- Increased number of psychosomatic symptoms (R).
- Increased risk of Fibromyalgia (R), CFS (R) and Temporomandibular joint disorder (R).
- Suicide attempt (GG) (R).
- Higher extraversion personality scores among borderline personality disorder patients and the presence of visual and auditory hallucinations in patients with late-onset Alzheimer's Disease (R).
- Worsened working memory in Schizophrenia (GG vs an A allele) (R).
- Increased risk of irritable bowel syndrome (R).