The Minor G allele is associated with:
- It causes lower PPAR alpha
- Poor response to saturated fat - increased small dense LDL [R]. Ketogenic diets high in saturated fat should be avoided.
- Better response to unsaturated fat - both omega 6's and Omega 3's [R]
- Increased the risk for diabetes by 1.9-fold
- Elevated levels of glucose and insulin (R)
- Increased triglycerides, LDL cholesterol, small-dense LDL particles, APOB
- Increased risk for heart attack particularly when saturated fat intake is higher than polyunsaturated fat (PUFA) intake.
The effect of this allele on the risk of diabetes in the placebo group was enhanced by the simultaneous presence of the risk alleles of the PPAR-gamma2, PGC1a and HNF4a genes (odds ratios 2.2, 2.5, and 3.4, respectively) (R).